overloaded functions

Warren Harris wh232 at pacbell.net
Sat Jul 26 18:55:34 CEST 2003

[I posted this to the Lambda the Ultimate weblog, but thought I'd try
again here...]

I'd like to understand the motivation for overloaded functions in CDuce.
It seems that the examples using overloaded functions in the white paper
could just as well be expressed with mutually recursive functions (with
different names). Are they simply a matter of convenience, or is there
something specific about the way XML types are expressed/extended that
requires overloading (and extensible overloading -- section 3.5
"incremental programming"). Thanks,

Warren